Phase I: Pre-Institute Activities – Context Building and Assessing Campus Readiness
- CUE staff interviews each campus team leader to understand their specific institutional dynamics, assess campus readiness for change, and learn about any previous equity efforts.
- CUE reviews any previous plans for each college and uses the information to guide the campus conference calls.
- CUE creates data portfolios accompanied with a PowerPoint presentation for each of the campuses. The data portfolios and presentations will align with the goals for Vision for Success.
Phase II: The Institute – Providing Tools & Resources for Race-Conscious Planning
CUE has confirmed expert speakers (Learn more about our Institute speakers):
- Dr. Shaun Harper, USC Provost Professor and the Clifford and Betty Allen Chair in Urban Leadership
- Dr. Sonya Christian, President, Bakersfield Community College
- Dr. Laura I. Rendón, Professor of Higher Education, University of Texas – San Antonio
- Dr. Amanda Tachine, Research Evaluation Associate, American-Indian College Fund
During the two-day workshop, CUE will provide tools and resources to help campuses:
- Make their Student Equity Plan an opportunity for institutional innovation and student success (using CUE’s well-established work on race-consciousness and equity-mindedness)
- Apply inquiry methods to identify causes of low success in course completion and basic skills, especially co-requisite and accelerated Math and English
- Develop strategies to talk constructively in the plans about race and equity on campus
- Create buy-in to bring about greater campus involvement in equity-focused change
Phase III: Post-Institute – Guidance Completing and Implementing the Student Equity Plan
- Institute facilitators share a feedback memo guiding leaders through next steps as they go back to campus to complete their equity plan and go through the review and approval process.
- Follow-up phone conversations between Institute facilitator and campuses to finalize ideas and strategies from SEPI and finalize individual student equity plan.
- Check in with campuses about the local-level review and approval process; confirm that equity plan is submitted to the Chancellor’s Office.
- Continued support with the implementation of activities developed in equity plans.
- Full report on the SEPI and the equity efforts established by participating campuses.